If you don't want to hear a potty training update, skip this post. It is graphic in nature.
Brady's pediatrician thinks it's time for us to see a psychiatrist about his potty training issues. (For those that don't know, Brady asks for a pullup to poop in. He will not under any circumstance go poop at school because he won't ask for a pullup there.) We have been waiting for Brady's pediatrician's psych referral group to contact me for an appointment time. We submitted the paperwork on April 28th. Finally, the woman called on Tuesday with a July 7th initial consultation. I was shocked. I then called a couple of other doctors...none of which I have heard from.
Today at the pediatrician (unrelated matter) I asked if that was typical. She said that she thought it was reasonable. We did not see Brady's usual doctor today, but instead we saw one of her associates. She asked if the problem cropped up overnight, knowing that it did not. She then informed me that I shouldn't expect a solution overnight (which I do not). She also told me that it wasn't Brady's problem but it was training the parents how to deal with it. It's hard not to take that personally, since I'm the one that has done the potty training. Of course, Brady is hearing all of this. I told her that we want to start something different to help him with this because Dr. Wilking said not to do anything else about it until under advice from the psychiatrist.
Fast forward to tonight...we were at Chick-fil-a and Brady asked me to put on a pullup for him. I told him (calmly, again...I think there might be something to this calm and unemotional thing, if one can maintain composure to do it) that I didn't have a pullup so he either could go on the potty or we would have to leave his friends and the grand opening celebration. We went to the restroom where I fully expected him to do as he always does in this circumstance which is to sit for a couple of minutes and then say that he doesn't have to go anymore.) But, this time he sat and pooped! Both of us were so happy. He asked for gum, which I gave him. We then went to Target and bought the $50 talking Buzz Lightyear that I promised months ago if he would only poop ANYWHERE but a pullup.
I have no idea what made this night any different from the others. Maybe it was hearing the other doctor talk, or maybe he really wanted to stay and play so he just decided to do it. I don't know. This is probably only his 4th success in his entire life. ALL other successes were very emotionally draining because they involved me convincing him to stay for a few more minutes when he is crying and wailing to get off of the potty. I am trying not to get my hopes up, but I am so wanting this to be something that repeats itself tomorrow (and maybe even the next day and the next day.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Michelle...YAY!!! I completely agree that there is something to the calm and unemotional approach. It's SO hard to maintain, especially when frustration kicks in, but maybe it's just the trick to allow Brady to figure it out on his own. My mom is using the same pullup trick on my niece...she just tells her, "Sorry, I'm out of money for pullups. So you can either use the potty or go in your panties and deal with the mess." And try not to take the doctor's comment personally. As Moms, we're all just trying to figure it out one day/struggle/milestone at a time. Keep us posted on how the rest of the weekend goes!
ReplyDelete