The beginning of this problem is that I was at work and the boys were at daycare instead of us all being at the Friday Play Date. I got a call almost immediately after my 1 hour meeting was over and it was Creme. Tanner had chewed on a capsule, but they managed to get the shell of it out of his mouth. I'm sorry...what?!?!?!? What kind of capsule? Where did he find it? Do you really think he ate whatever it was? I packed my computer and then headed out the door toward the school.
On the way to my car, my phone rang again...Creme. The head director told me that she tried to call a few minutes before and couldn't get me. The only explanation is that I must have been in the elevator. She said that she called Poison Control and because of his size they recommended that his vitals be monitored. So, the EMTs were on the way! I got to Creme within 5 minutes, and an ambulance and fire truck were there...how scary! They had already examined him and he was fine so far.
They wanted to take him to Texas Children's, but he was acting completely normal. So normal that he was destroying Ms. Brenda's office. So, I asked if he would be seen any quicker if he went by ambulance..."NO." I called the pediatrician and she said that I could just watch him at home. It was a clear capsule so she felt like it was vitamins or herbs. Instead of me monitoring, I decided to make an appointment a little later so that the doctor could look him over. He was completely OK. I also felt better to see an oily residue on the envelope in which they placed the capsule remnants. I showed this to the pediatrician and she agreed that it was probably vitamin E or fish oil. Crisis averted.
Tanner found the pill in the hallway after the kindergarten graduation ceremony. They think it must have been in a visitor's purse or pocket, because the teachers keep their belongings in the front of the school. I was overall impressed with the way Creme handled the situation, and I have to give much credit to Ms. Brenda who was completely calm and so great to keep Tanner occupied with her computer as I used her phone to call the doctor while the EMTs stood in her office. I suppose this is why we are paying the big bucks for daycare downtown. Tanner is making them earn it!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Oh my! That is scary, indeed. Just not knowing what he ingested and thinking of the possibilities would probably send me into a major panic! I'm glad Creme handled it so well and more importantly, that Tanner was fine.
ReplyDelete