Friday, April 2, 2010

School Obsession

The boys have been at school some of the mornings even though I have been at home because I have been exploring options for elementary school. Yes, technically I have a 2 year-old and a 3 year-old, but we might have to start in pre-K to hold a spot at some of the places.

I visited the public schools Thursday, March 25th and Friday, March 26th. Our district is "go where you are zoned" so we would have to move if we didn't like our particular elementary school. I started with the best in the district (would require a move), liked it and was encouraged and excited to tour the school to which we are zoned the next day. Not as good.

The biggest hurdle is that the school will close when Brady's in first grade. He will be bused 20 minutes away while they construct a new school on the same site. Brady and Tanner would be at the other school for 2 years of their elementary life. I'm corresponding with the principal on the logistical questions that I have. In the same e-mail, I slipped in, "Do you think the main-streaming of children with various learning and social challenges breeds mediocrity in the public school system?" Tim thought this was too bold.

Fast forward to Wednesday, April 1. Brady took an entrance exam for First Baptist (where Jordan attended 8th grade) so that we could secure a spot there for the fall. Unfortunately, I was able to be in the room while he did the test. She asked him to write his name (a task that he does many times every day) and he told her, "I can't do the "y" and so he wrote BRADD. Great. Then she asked him to name all of the animals he could think of. Bat and Zebra. She encouraged by asking "any other zoo animals that you can name?" No. "Any animals at home?" No. "On the farm?" No. Hmmm.

I don't know where this is headed, but I'm sure I will be in a quandary until I finally make up my mind. I did decide to let go of the public school pre-K spot at our elementary, mainly because pre-K is subject to the same attendance policies as the rest of the district. This means if I want to take him out on a Friday, I couldn't. I am just not ready for this kind of structure, and I can't believe it's necessary in pre-K. The boy is 4. I hope it's not yet another error I make in the education of my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment